The Tamaqua Passenger Station of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad was constructed in 1874 in grand Victorian style at the height of the coal age. The railroad ceased passenger service operations in the mid 20th centurty and the building sat neglected for nearly three decades. In the early 1980s Tamaqua residents began a campaign to save and restore the station that stands at the heart of their community. It took over 20 years of hard work by a dedicated group of volunteers, but the Tamaqua 1874 Philadelphia & Reading Passenger Depot has been restored to its grand elegance. The station features a dining room, visitor center, candy shop, and gift boutique all meticulously restored.
The station has again become the focal point of downtown Tamaqua acting as the area's Visitors Center complete with original railroad memorabilia.