Job Opportunity: Trail Maintenance and Safety Manager
The Trail Maintenance and Safety Manager should be a trail enthusiast who is passionate about the Schuylkill River Trail! They maintain the Schuylkill River Trail to ensure the safety and enjoyment of trail users. This position is primarily responsible for the Berks County sections of the SRT, and occasionally includes other SRG Berks and Schuylkill County properties. A pickup truck or similar vehicle is required. The position is 95% outdoors in all seasons and 5% indoors. The Trail Maintenance and Safety Manager reports to the Trails Director and works with Schuylkill River Greenways staff members and volunteers.
DOWNLOADABLE JOB DESCRIPTION
This is a part-time position with the Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area. It is for up to 360 hours/year. The salary is $35 per hour which is $12,600 per year. The work hours per week will vary, depending on the season and maintenance and safety needs, but will average 7 hours per week.
The position involves all types of outdoor maintenance including:
- On-Call response to trail hazards
- Operating outdoor maintenance tools including chain saws
- Posting hazard warnings on the trail
- Identifying trail work to be performed by outside contractors
- Removing trash, fallen branches, and fallen trees on or near the trail
- Trimming vegetation along trail
- Repairing minor defects in trail surface
- Repairing minor drainage problems
- Installing and repairing fences, benches, and kiosks
- Closing trail sections for trail work
- Mowing and spraying trail edges
- Maintaining trail counters
- Purchasing, maintaining, and storing tools and equipment
- Leading volunteer workdays
- Assisting with special events
- Assisting Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and similar groups with trail projects
- Have strong communication and record keeping skills
- Other duties as assigned
Contact Julia Hurle, Trails Director: firstname.lastname@example.org before December 30, 2020.