Call for Entries
Schuylkill River Greenways NHA cordially invites you to submit original artwork or photography for the 16th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area Juried Art Show and Sale that will display at Montgomery County Community College (MCCC) West Campus Gallery. You are invited to submit original artwork or photography on paper or canvas of a scene within the Heritage Area. The work should communicate the distinctive nature of the region and can focus on people, the river, streams, landscape or historic properties.Click Here for Prospectus & Application
About the Heritage Area
The Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area encompasses the Schuylkill River watershed within Schuylkill, Berks, Chester, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties (a watershed is the region draining into a river, river system, or other body of water). This includes over 1.2 million acres (1,750 square miles) and is home to 3.2 million people. Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area shines a spotlight on the unique qualities of the region through the talents of the arts community. For a map of the Heritage Area, click the button below.View Heritage Area Map
Prizes & Sales
There will be cash prizes from the Schuylkill River Heritage Area and gift certificates from North Penn Art.
- Best of Show Winner: $300 cash and a $400 gift certificate
- 2nd Place Prize: $200 cash and a $250 gift certificate
- 3rd Place Prize: $100 cash and a $100 gift certificate
- Staff Choice: $50 cash and a $50 gift certificate
- Two Honorable Mentions for Paintings: $50 each and $50 gift certificates
- Two Honorable Mentions for Photography: $50 each and $50 gift certificates.
The Heritage Area will collect a 20% commission fee from all sales that result from the show and exhibit. If your work is sold, the 20% commission fee is tax-deductible.
About Scenes of the Schuylkill
Scenes of the Schuylkill is an annual juried art show and sale that celebrates the beauty of the Schuylkill River region through art. It’s hosted by the Schuylkill River Greenways NHA every fall, in partnership with Montgomery County Community College.
The 16th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill will take place from November 20th until February 7th at Montgomery County Community College West Campus North Hall Gallery in Pottstown.
Important Dates for the 2019 SOS Exhibit
- November 11: Artists deliver work from noon – 5 p.m. at MCCC Gallery, 16 W. High Street, Pottstown
- November 12: Artwork juried
- November 13: Artists notified by phone if work NOT accepted
- November 14: Pick-up unaccepted work between hours of 12 – 4:30 p.m. at Schuylkill River Greenways’ Office at 140 College Drive, Pottstown
- November 20: Show opens to the public. Gallery Hours: Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. & Monday – Thursday from 8 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- November 20: Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area Artist Reception/SRG Annual Meeting from 6 – 8 p.m., Invitation Only
- February 7: Show closes
- February 10: Artists pick up work from 12 – 5 p.m. at MCCC Gallery, 16 W. High St., Pottstown
2018 Winning Entries
The 15th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill Art Show featured 98 original works. Artists submitted artwork or photography on paper or canvas of a scene within the Schuylkill River region. The juror was Ross L. Mitchell, Former Executive Director of the Violette de Mazia Foundation. Mitchell juried a total of 135 submissions and selected the 98 pieces featured in the show.
- Best in Show: Saw Mill, oil on linen, by James Green
- 2nd Place: Verdi, watercolor, by Michael Adams
- 3rd Place: View from Train, acrylic on canvas, by Jean Plough
- Staff Choice: Scott’s Run, oil, by Steven J. White
- Honorable Mention (photography): Flights in Black & White, photography by Samantha Story
- Honorable Mention (photography): Olde Stone, photography by Lisa Foster
- Honorable Mention (painting): Rollin’ on the River, pastel, painting by Barbara Brown
- Honorable Mention (painting): Wissahickon Tree Trunk, oil on board, painting by Betz Green
To view all the selected pieces entered in this year’s exhibit, CLICK HERE.
Special Thanks to our 2018 Sponsors
- Roger Perry Memorial Fund of The Philadelphia Foundation
- Sager & Sager Associates
- North Penn Art
- Montgomery County Community College
- Dolan Law Group
- Hobart’s Run
The Scenes of the Schuylkill Art Show is also made possible through funding from the National Park Service.
This event was financed in part by a grant from the Community Conservation Partnerships Program, the Environmental Stewardship Fund, under the administration of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.