Call for Entries
The Schuylkill River Greenways NHA cordially invites you to submit original artwork or photography for the 17th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area Juried Art Show and Sale that will display at a New Location: The Walk In Art Center, 220 Parkway, Schuylkill Haven.
You are invited to submit original artwork or photography on paper or canvas of a scene within the Heritage Area.
The work should communicate the distinctive nature of the region and can focus on people, the river, streams, landscape, or historic properties.Click Here to View Prospectus & Application
About the Heritage Area
The Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area encompasses the Schuylkill River watershed within Schuylkill, Berks, Chester, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties (a watershed is the region draining into a river, river system, or other body of water). This includes over 1.2 million acres (1,750 square miles) and is home to 3.2 million people. Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area shines a spotlight on the unique qualities of the region through the talents of the arts community. For a map of the Heritage Area, click the button below.View Heritage Area Map
Prizes & Sales
Selectin of the Juror is currently being arranged and will be announced shortly.
- Best of Show Winner: $500 cash
- 2nd Place Prize: $300 cash
- 3rd Place Prize: $100 cash
- Staff Choice: $100 cash
- Two Honorable Mentions for Paintings: $50 each
- Two Honorable Mentions for Photography: $50 each
The Walk in Art Center will collect a 30% commission fee from all sales that result from the show and exhibit. If your work is sold, the 30% commission fee is tax-deductible. A Reception/ Schuylkill River Greenways Annual Meeting will be held Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021 at the Walk In Art Center. The Reception will be by invitation only and artists in the show will receive invitations for themselves and their guests.
About Scenes of the Schuylkill
Scenes of the Schuylkill is an annual juried art show and sale that celebrates the beauty of the Schuylkill River region through art. It’s hosted by the Schuylkill River Greenways NHA every fall.
The 17th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill Art Show will take place from Oct. 25, 2021 to Nov. 13, 2021 at The Walk-In Art Center. The center is located at 220 Parkway in Schuylkill Haven. Most artwork in the exhibit will be available for purchase.
Important Dates for the 2021 SOS Exhibit
- October 17: Artists deliver artwork from 2 p.m. – 5 p.m. at Walk In Art Center, 220 Parkway, Schuylkill Haven
- October 18: Artists deliver artwork from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. at Walk In Art Center, 220 Parkway, Schuylkill Haven
- October 20: Artwork will be juried
- October 21 & 22: Artists notified by phone if work NOT accepted
- October 24: Pick-up unaccepted work between hours of 1 to 5 p.m. at Walk In Art Center, 220 Parkway, Schuylkill Haven
- October 25: Show opens to the public. Gallery Hours: Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. And Saturday from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- November 10: Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area Artist Reception/SRG Annual Meeting from 6 – 8 p.m., Invitation Only
- November 13: Show ends
- November 22 & 23: Artists pick up work from 12 – 5 p.m. at Walk In Art Center, 220 Parkway, Schuylkill Haven
- Best in Show: The Papermill of Papermill Road, oil, by Russell Slocum
- 2nd Place: Sitting Ducks, pastel, by Barbara Brown
- 3rd Place: Ebbing Mists - Kempton Valley, inkjet photography, by Kevin Bennett
- Staff Choice: Solitude, oil, by Karen Powell
- Honorable Mention (photography): Gnarly, photography, by Walt Hug
- Honorable Mention (photography): Tundradelphia, digital photography on aluminum, by Will Thompson
- Honorable Mention (painting): Put the Yak in the River and Go, egg tempera, by Jon Bond
- Honorable Mention (painting): Favorite Spot, oil, by Maura Matthews
Click the button below to view more photos of the artwork displayed during the 16th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill Show as well as photos of the reception.Click for More Photos!
Special Thanks to our 2019 Sponsors
- Sager & Sager Associates
- Hobart’s Run
- Dolan Law Group, LLC
- Tompkins VIST Bank
- Campbell Thomas & Company
- North Penn Art
- Montgomery County Community College
The Scenes of the Schuylkill Art Show is also made possible through funding from the National Park Service.
This event was financed in part by a grant from the Community Conservation Partnerships Program, the Environmental Stewardship Fund, under the administration of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.