Artwork Depicts Scenes of the Schuylkill
About Scenes of the Schuylkill
Scenes of the Schuylkill is an annual juried art show and sale that celebrates the beauty of the Schuylkill River region through art. It’s hosted by the Schuylkill River Greenways NHA every fall, in partnership with Montgomery County Community College.
The 16th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill Art Show features 98 original works depicting a scene from within the Schuylkill River Region. The exhibit is open until February 7 at Montgomery County Community College West Campus North Hall Gallery in Pottstown. The address is 16 W. High Street. It’s FREE and open to the public.
Gallery Hours: Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. & Monday – Thursday from 8 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
The juror for this year’s show was Linda Gist, a former senior lecturer at the University of the Arts. Gist currently teaches workshops in botanical painting at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts in Philadelphia. She carefully selected the pieces for Scenes of the Schuylkill from 113 submissions. The artwork displayed in this year’s show features varied representations of the area demonstrating the region’s beauty, history and significance.
2019 – 2020 Scenes of the Schuylkill Winners
- Best in Show: The Papermill of Papermill Road, oil, by Russell Slocum
- 2nd Place: Sitting Ducks, pastel, by Barbara Brown
- 3rd Place: Ebbing Mists – Kempton Valley, inkjet photography, by Kevin Bennett
- Staff Choice: Solitude, oil, by Karen Powell
- Honorable Mention (photography): Gnarly, photography, by Walt Hug
- Honorable Mention (photography): Tundradelphia, digital photography on aluminum, by Will Thompson
- Honorable Mention (painting): Put the Yak in the River and Go, egg tempera, by Jon Bond
- Honorable Mention (painting): Favorite Spot, oil, by Maura Matthews
Click the button below to view more photos of the artwork displayed during the 16th Annual Scenes of the Schuylkill Show as well as photos of the reception.Click for More Photos!
Artwork Available for Purchase
Most artwork in the exhibit is available for purchase. If you are interested in buying a piece of art, or would like additional information, please call Schuylkill River Greenways at 484-945-0200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Twenty percent of the purchase price of each piece benefits Schuylkill River Greenways and is tax deductible.
Prizes & Sales
Winners received cash prizes from The Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area and gift certificates from North Penn Art.
- Best of Show Winner: $300 cash and a $400 gift certificate
- 2nd Place Prize: $200 cash and a $250 gift certificate
- 3rd Place Prize: $100 cash and a $100 gift certificate
- Staff Choice: $50 cash and a $50 gift certificate
- Two Honorable Mentions for Paintings: $50 each and $50 gift certificates
- Two Honorable Mentions for Photography: $50 each and $50 gift certificates.
Important Dates for the 2019 – 2020 SOS Exhibit
- November 11: Artists deliver work from noon – 5 p.m. at MCCC Gallery, 16 W. High Street, Pottstown
- November 12: Artwork juried
- November 13: Artists notified by phone if work NOT accepted
- November 14: Pick-up unaccepted work between hours of 12 – 4:30 p.m. at Schuylkill River Greenways’ Office at 140 College Drive, Pottstown
- November 20: Show opens to the public. Gallery Hours: Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. & Monday – Thursday from 8 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- November 20: Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area Artist Reception/SRG Annual Meeting from 6 – 8 p.m., Invitation Only
- February 7: Show closes
- February 10: Artists pick up work from 12 – 5 p.m. at MCCC Gallery, 16 W. High St., Pottstown
Special Thanks to our 2019 Sponsors
- Sager & Sager Associates
- Hobart’s Run
- Dolan Law Group, LLC
- Tompkins VIST Bank
- Campbell Thomas & Company
- North Penn Art
- Montgomery County Community College
The Scenes of the Schuylkill Art Show is also made possible through funding from the National Park Service.
This event was financed in part by a grant from the Community Conservation Partnerships Program, the Environmental Stewardship Fund, under the administration of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Recreation and Conservation.
About the Heritage Area
The Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area encompasses the Schuylkill River watershed within Schuylkill, Berks, Chester, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties (a watershed is the region draining into a river, river system, or other body of water). This includes over 1.2 million acres (1,750 square miles) and is home to 3.2 million people. Scenes of the Schuylkill River Heritage Area shines a spotlight on the unique qualities of the region through the talents of the arts community. For a map of the Heritage Area, click the button below.View Heritage Area Map