About the Program
The Junior Ranger Program is part of the National Park Service meant to connect kids from anywhere within the U.S. with nature. Kids complete a series of activities in order to earn the title as Junior Ranger. A Junior Ranger is someone who helps protect and preserve nature, spreads their knowledge about preservation with their friends and family, and becomes a responsible environmentalist.
This Junior Ranger Activity Journal is specific to the Schuylkill River Greenways National Heritage Area. This can be completed from any location along the Schuylkill River and at any time. Children are invited to read through the booklet and complete each activity in order to earn a title as Schuylkill River Heritage Area Junior Ranger.
“Many people don’t know why we are called a national heritage area or the significance of the Schuylkill River. The history of the heritage area is tied to the nation’s history.”- Sarah Crothers Bach-SRG Junior Rangers founder
What is a National Heritage Area?
A National Heritage Area (NHA) is a place designated by the United States Congress where natural, cultural, and historic resources combine to form a nationally distinct landscape. NHAs celebrate history and diversity through its resources. The Schuylkill River Watershed was named a National Heritage Area in 2000 by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. The Schuylkill River Heritage Area spans across 5 counties and is home to 3.2 million people!
Where to Find the SRG Junior Ranger Program Book
- Schuylkill River Greenways Visitor Center/Office: 140 College Drive, Pottstown, PA 19464
- Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site Visitor Center: 2 Mark Bird Lane, Elverson, PA 19520 (Coming Soon!)
- Valley Forge National Historical Park Visitor Center: 1400 N Outer Line Drive, King of Prussia, PA 19406 (Coming Soon!)
How to Get Your Junior Ranger Badge
- Complete all the activities in the booklet
- Sign the Junior Ranger Pledge on page 21
- Submit work by either:
- Visiting the Schuylkill River Greenways office at 140 College, Drive, Pottstown, PA 19464 with your completed activity journal (please call ahead to make sure we are open).
- Sending a picture of the signed activity journal to the email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive further instructions on how to receive a badge through the mail. Shipping costs apply.
If you have a group that you would like to complete the Junior Ranger Program at the Schuylkill River Greenways site in Pottstown, contact Education Director Ayashe Ramey at email@example.com or call 484-945-0200.