Canoe launch. Parking in Canal Street lot for 50+. Heritage Park. Picnic area. Reading Railroad and Schuylkill Navigation history exhibits.
To locate launch in park, see map above or follow GPS coordinates below:
Street Access: 40.324917,-75.926207
River Access: 40.323866,-75.926235
“Swinging Bridge” Tower
In 1886, the Reading Railroad commissioned John A. Roebling & Sons, designers of the Brooklyn Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge, to build a pedestrian bridge across the tracks at their “Outer Station” on North 6th Street in Reading. This local landmark, known as the “Swinging Bridge” (see photo below), was closed in 1964 and demolished in 1983, despite protests from local citizens and historians. One of its steel towers is displayed here at Jackson’s Landing, a former Schuylkill Navigation canal stop.
Owner: City of Reading
Services: Restaurant nearby and more services across Bingaman Street Bridge on Lancaster Avenue (Business PA-222), 1.0 mile west.