Visitors to the Heritage Area who are traveling with children will take heart in knowing that many of the region's attractions offer programs and facilities especially for kids.
The Schuylkill River Heritage Area boasts several world-class zoos, gardens, parks, and museums that will excite both kids and adults.
Be a part of history
Historic sites and history museums offer kids great opportunities to learn about our nation's past by talking to them on their level.
- Independence National Historical Park offers kids the opportunity to muster into the Continental Army and watch a working archaeology laboratory during the summer months
- Many history museums offer special programs, exhibits, and activities for kids throughout the year on a variety of topics.
Family fun in the outdoors
For kids and adults who enjoy the fresh air and are looking for a great place to spend a weekend afternoon, check out some of these sites and organizations:
- Environmental Education centers offer great programs where kids can learn about native plants and animals, get their hands dirty, and learn a bit about the larger world around them. Many also offer day camps during the summer.
- Zoos and Nature Preserves are great fun for the whole family and can help to get kids interested in science and nature.
- Farms and agricultural museums are a great way to teach kids about where their food comes from and get them outside at the same time.
Rainy Day activities
Unfortunately, the weather in the Heritage Area is not always sunny and warm. For those days when you need to stay inside, check out these ideas:
- Science and technology museums like the Franklin Institute and Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia are great indoor activities
- Teach your kids about where rain comes from and how it ends up in your kitchen faucet at the Fairmount Water Works Interpretive Center
- Art museums like the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Reading Public Museum are places to visit on a rainy day
- The Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia's Fairmount Park is a wildly popular attraction for kids and adults, particularly on those cloudy days.