We need your help to revive a section of the trail in Reading. Volunteer! Donate! Join Us! Click Here to Learn More
The Schuylkill River Greenways map is divided by Trailheads, Trail Towns and Places to Visit.
Housed in a gracious 19th century stone Victorian mansion on six acres in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia, Woodmere first opened its doors to the public in 1940. The building, grounds and the nucleus of the permanent collection are the benefactions of Charles Knox Smith (1845 — 1916) whose wish it was to create “a very lively art center…to awaken the spirit of, the appreciation of, and the knowledge of art . . . in the City of Philadelphia and surrounding territory.” Today, the Permanent Collection houses more than 3,000 works of art, much of it celebrating the art and artists of the Philadelphia region. Nine galleries and salons, including a grand rotunda and a uniquely designated Children’s Gallery, provide superb space for exhibiting both the Permanent Collection and numerous special exhibits each year. A converted carriage house serves as the George D. Widener Studio where a year-round roster of classes provides outstanding art training to children and adults. Numerous public programs — lectures, tours, trips — and an impressive library and slide registry ensure that the community has ongoing access to a wide spectrum of art education resources.